The chief audit executive (CAE) of the Office of Internal Audits reports directly to President Jay C. Hartzell and the Institutional Audit Committee (IAC).
The Institutional Audit Committee is an essential component of the risk management and internal control infrastructure of UT Austin. Its primary responsibilities are to assist President Hartzell in the:
- Oversight and direction of the institution’s internal auditing function,
- Oversight of the institution’s processes to manage business and financial risks,
- Oversight of the institution’s financial statement preparation process,
- Oversight of any external public accounting firms hired by the institution, and
- Reporting of risk management and audit activity to the appropriate U.T. System executive vice-chancellor and, through the director of System Audits, to the Audit, Compliance, and Risk Management Committee of the Board of Regents (ACRMC).
Membership of the IAC is determined by the president and includes key members of senior management and at least three external members selected by the president. The IAC meets quarterly and as determined necessary by the president or IAC members.
Institutional Audit Committee Members as of August 2021:
- Ms. Elizabeth Yant
- External Member, Chair
- Dr. Jay C. Hartzell
- Dr. Sharon Wood
- Executive Vice President and Provost
- Mr. Darrell Bazzell
- Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Mr. James Davis
- Vice President for Legal Affairs
- Dr. Daniel Jaffe
- Vice President for Research
- Dr. Soncia Reagins-Lilly
- Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
- Mr. Jeffery Graves
- Chief Compliance Officer
- Mr. Cam Beasley
- Cheif Information Security Officer
- Ms. Christine Plonsky
- Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director, Cheif of Staff and SWA
- Ms. Susan Whittaker
- External Member
- Dr. John Medellin
- External Member
- Ms. Sandy Jansen
- Chief Audit Executive, The University of Texas at Austin (non-voting)
- Mr. J. Michael Peppers
- Chief Audit Executive, UT System Audit Office (non-voting)
UT System Oversight
The CAE of the Office of Internal Audits has an indirect reporting relationship to the UT System chief audit executive who has responsibility for oversight of the internal auditing activity for the UT System and has the reporting responsibility for all institutions to the Audit, Compliance, and Risk Management Committee (ACRMC) of the Board of Regents.
The Texas Internal Auditing Act (Texas Government Code, Chapter 2102) requires certain state agencies and higher education institutions to submit an annual report of audit activities and provide copies of audit reports to the Governor’s Office, the Legislative Budget Board, and the State Auditor’s Office.